featured in 1 Can of Spam 3 Ways
This popular Hawaiian snack is perfect for any occasion. It's sweet, it's salty, it's sticky, and it’s super easy to make.
May 07, 2020
93% would make again
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 1 serving
- ½ cup short grain white rice (100 g)
- ½ cup water (120 mL)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¼ Spam®, sliced in half lengthwise (1 12 ounce can (340 G))
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 strips nori, 2 in wide (5 cm)
- Calories 798
- Fat 21g
- Carbs 130g
- Fiber 15g
- Sugar 18g
- Protein 12g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Rinse the rice in cool water until the water runs clear to remove excess starch.
- In a small pot, combine the rice and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let the rice rest, covered, for another 15 minutes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, salt, and vinegar. Microwave for 1 minute, or until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Transfer the rice to a medium bowl and pour the vinegar mixture over the rice. Stir with a spatula to combine. Set aside.
- Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Spam slices and cook for 2–3 minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water, soy sauce, and sugar.
- Reduce the heat to low and pour the soy sauce mixture into the skillet. Let the sauce get bubbly and thick. Coat the Spam slices evenly in the glaze, turning as needed. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Clean the Spam can and line with plastic wrap. Add a packed ⅓ cup of rice into the bottom of the can, pressing down firmly. Add a piece of cooked Spam on top and press down firmly again. Use the plastic wrap to lift the rice and Spam from the can and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Lay a strip of nori, shiny side down, on a clean surface. Place the Spam and rice stack at the center on top and wrap the nori around, using a little water on your finger to seal the nori. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Your favorite recipes are just a click away. Download the Tasty app to save and organize your favorites.