Spicy Lamb Naan Bowl Curry
This fiery bowl of curry is not for the faint of heart. Tender lamb is cooked to perfection with a blend of bold spices, then served in a fluffy naan bread bowl. Topped with cooling yogurt and fresh cilantro, this bowl is a flavor explosion that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
for 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlics, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground tumeric
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon himalayan sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb lamb shoulder (400 g), cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm)
- 2 cups carrot (200 g), sliced diagonally
- 1.5 lb canned diced tomato (1400 g)
- 1 cup water (200 mL)
- 2 cups spinach (100 g)
- ½ cup coconut milk (120 mL)
- ½ cup water (120 mL)
- ½ tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 ¾ cups plain flour (400 g), plus more for dusting
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup plain yogurt (200 g)
- ¼ cup melted butter (50 g), divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground tumeric
- ¼ teaspoon garlic granules
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt (80 g)
- coriander, to garnish
- To make the naan dough, combine warm water, yeast, and honey. Set aside to bloom for 10 minutes.
- Combine plain flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- To the yeast mixture, add plain yogurt, and 25g melted butter, stir until smooth. Pour into the dry ingredients.
- Stir to combine, then dump onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth (about 2-3 minutes).
- Place dough in a clean large bowl, greased with oil, and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Make the curry: heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger, cooking for 3 minutes, or until softened.
- Add curry powder, garlic granules, cumin, turmeric, red chilli flakes, sea salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the diced lamb, cook, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes, or until the lamb is browned.
- Add sliced carrots, tinned tomatoes, and water. Reduce heat, and cover for 40 minutes.
- Tip in spinach and coconut milk, stirring to combine.
- Once the naan dough has risen, dump dough onto a floured surface. Divide into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ¼ inch thickness (about 25cm circle).
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium high heat. Cook naan for 2-3 minutes, or until the dough puffs up. Flip, and cook for an additional minute. Transfer naan to a medium bowl, and place another bowl on top. Repeat with remaining dough, stacking bowls between each round. Let the naan cool in the bowls to retain their shape.
- Mix remaining melted butter with turmeric and garlic granules, brush each naan bowl with melted butter.
- Fill naan bowls with lamb curry, and top with fresh coriander and yogurt.
- Your favorite recipes are just a click away. Download the Tasty app to save and organize your favorites.