Spiral Plantains With Mojo Sauce
Your favorite accordion potato recipe just got a new twist. Replace the spuds with slightly sweet plantains for a delicious take on the fairground classic. Zesty mojo sauce brightens up these fried delights to create the perfect bite!
for 4 servings
- ¼ cup large orange (60 mL), juiced
- ¼ cup large limes (60 mL)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, thick stems removed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 large cloves garlic
- ½ cup olive oil (120 mL)
- 2 qt canola oil (1.8 L), for frying
- 4 large yellow plantains
- kosher salt, to taste
- , for serving
- 4 wooden skewers, 6 in (15 cm)
- Make the mojo sauce: In a high-powered blender, combine the orange juice, lime juice, cilantro, salt, oregano, cumin, and garlic. Turn the blender on to medium speed and slowly drizzle in the olive oil until emulsified. Set aside until ready to use. The sauce will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Make the accordion plantains: Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until the temperature reaches 325°F (160°C). Set a wire rack over a baking sheet.
- Use a sharp knife to remove the tips of the plantains, then peel and cut the plantains in half crosswise. Place a plantain half between two chopsticks or skewers on a flat surface. Slice the plantain crosswise at ¼-inch intervals, using the chopsticks to avoid cutting all the way through. Flip the plantain over and slice diagonally at ¼-inch intervals, again using the chopsticks to avoid cutting all the way through. Gently thread a 6-inch skewer through the center of the plantain and carefully separate the layers with your fingers so that they are evenly spaced. Repeat with the remaining plantains.
- Fry the plantain skewers in the hot oil until light golden brown, using a slotted spoon or tongs to rotate for even frying, about 5 minutes total. Carefully transfer the skewers to the wire rack.
- Increase the heat to high to bring the oil temperature to 375°F (190°C).
- Return the plantains to the hot oil and fry until a deep copper color, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the wire rack and immediately season with salt.
- Serve the accordion plantains with the mojo sauce and mayoketchup for dipping.
- Hate losing that perfect recipe? Save and organize recipes easily on the Tasty app. Download now.