92% would make again
Sticky Chinese BBQ Chicken
featured in Chicken Dinners From Around The World
for 4 servings
- 3 chicken breasts
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup corn flour (100 g)
- 6 cups oil (1.4 L), for frying
- 1 onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup chicken stock (100 mL)
- 1 ¼ cups pineapple (200 g)
- ¼ cup water (50 mL)
- ¼ cup cornflour (50 mL), as needed
- 2 egg yolks
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Cut into bite-size chunks.
- Dunk each chicken piece in the egg yolk, followed by the cornflour. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan until it reaches 190°C (375°F).
- Carefully fry the chicken pieces for around 5-6 minutes, until crispy, slightly golden in colour and cooked throughout.
- Drain onto a plate covered in kitchen roll.
- In a large saucepan over a medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and fry the onions and peppers for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the soy sauce, red wine vinegar, tomato paste, sugar, and chicken stock. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add in cornflour paste.
- Mix until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the pineapple and chicken until evenly coated with the sauce.
- Serve with rice.