for 8 servings
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (390 g), plus more for dusting
- 4 cups freeze-dried strawberry (55 g)
- 3 tablespoons organic granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pink himalayan salt, plus a pinch, divided
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (170 g), 1 1/2 sticks, cubed and chilled
- 7 tablespoons ice water
- 2 lb fresh strawberry (910 g), sliced
- ¾ cup lemon curd (185 g)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Calories 523
- Fat 22g
- Carbs 71g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugar 26g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, freeze-dried strawberries, sugar, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Pulse until the strawberries are fully incorporated into the flour.
- Add the butter and pulse until it breaks down into pea-sized pieces. Do not over-mix.
- Add the ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing between each addition, until the dough just holds together.
- Transfer the dough to a clean work surface and divide into 2 discs, one slightly larger than the other. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, combine the sliced strawberries, lemon curd, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a light boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cornstarch slurry and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until the filling thickens. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Remove the larger disc of dough from the fridge and sprinkle with flour. Roll out to about ⅛ inch (3 mm) thick and transfer to a greased 9½-inch (24-cm) pie dish, pressing down to form the bottom crust. Cut off any excess dough around the edges and set aside. Chill the bottom crust while you roll out the top.
- Roll out the smaller dough disc. Cut 6 1-inch-wide (2-cm) strips from the dough and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Combine all of the excess dough, re-roll it, and use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes of your choosing. Add to the baking sheet and chill the strips and shapes for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bottom crust from the fridge and poke holes all over the bottom with a fork. Pour the strawberry filling into the crust.
- Lay 3 of the dough strips vertically and evenly spaced across the top of the pie, and lay the other 3 horizontally. Place a cutout shape at the intersection of every vertical and horizontal strip. Trim the edges of the dough, then crimp with a fork all the way around.
- Brush the crust with the beaten egg, then sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Let cool, then chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.