for 4 sandwiches
- 1 cup superfine almond flour (110 g), if unable to find superfine, pulse almond flour in a food processor first
- 1 ¾ cups powdered sugar (200 g)
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (50 g)
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 1 pt strawberry ice cream (475 g)
- 12 raspberries
- Calories 732
- Fat 39g
- Carbs 80g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 71g
- Protein 18g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Using a fine mesh sieve, sift together the almond flour and powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Discard any large pieces that remain in the sieve.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add a third of the granulated sugar and with mixer on high, continue to beat until egg whites are stiff peaks.
- Add another third of the sugar and beat again until egg whites are back to stiff peaks. Repeat with the remaning sugar, beating until whites are shiny and fluffy.
- Add the sifted flour and sugar to the bowl with the egg whites. Add 2 drops of food coloring. With a rubber scraper, fold the mixture into the egg whites, about 35-45 strokes, or until the batter falls on itself but a slight peak remains.
- NOTE: Do not over-mix or batter will be too thin and runny.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a round tip.
- Pipe batter onto prepared baking tray into 3-inch (8 cm) disks.
- Lift and drop the baking tray onto a hard surface 2-3 times to smooth out the batter and knock out any air bubbles. Allow macarons to rest at room temperature for one hour, until a skin forms on the surface.
- Preheat oven to 275˚F (140˚C).
- After about one hour, gently brush the top a macaron with your finger to check that a skin has formed. The batter should not stick to your finger, if it does, allow to set for an additional 15 minutes.
- Bake cookies in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until the macarons peel away from the parchment when lifted.
- Allow the macaron shells to cool completely.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop ice cream and put onto the bottom side of the macaron shell. Place raspberries in between ice cream scoops, and sandwich together with a similarly sized macaron.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.