Strawberry Rice Crispy Treats
These treats are fun and easy to make! Add freeze-dried strawberry powder to the melty marshmallow mixture for a fruity and colorful spin on a classic treat!
for 8 rectangles
- 1 cup freeze-dried strawberry (125 g)
Rice Crispy Treats
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 cups mini marshmallows (250 g)
- kosher salt, small pinch
- 2 drops red gel food coloring
- 4 cups crispy rice cereal (140 g)
- ½ cup ruby chocolate chips (85 g)
- whole freeze-dried strawberry
- Calories 515
- Fat 11g
- Carbs 97g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 46g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the strawberry powder: Add the freeze-dried strawberries to a small food processor and grind into a fine powder. Use a fine-mesh sieve to sift the powder into a resealable container, then return the larger chunks from the sieve to the food processor and grind once more. Sift the powder into the container again, discarding any seeds or large chunks that won’t break down. You should have about ¼ cup. The powder will keep in the sealed container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Make the rice crispy treats: Line an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper (or grease the pan with nonstick spray).
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the marshmallows and salt and stir frequently until the marshmallows are completely melted and incorporated, 2–3 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the freeze-dried strawberry powder and red food coloring until the mixture is homogeneous in color.
- Add the crispy rice cereal and stir until evenly coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer the crispy rice mixture to the prepared pan and spread in an even layer. Let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Use the parchment to lift the rice crispy treats from the pan and set on a cutting board. Cut into 8 even pieces.
- Prepare the decorations: Add the ruby chocolate to a small, microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals until beginning to melt, then stir with a spatula to melt completely. Transfer to a piping bag.
- Snip a small hole in the tip of the piping bag, then pipe the melted chocolate onto the rice crispy treats. Top each with a whole freeze-dried strawberry before the chocolate sets.
- Let the chocolate set before serving, at least 15 minutes. The rice crispy treats will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Busy? Plan your meals for the week using our exclusive meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download now and get organized.