Street Corn Tortilla Cake
The tortilla cake layers yummy Mexican street corn between fried tortillas for a savory indulgence you won’t be able to get enough of.
September 22, 2022
for 4 servings
- 1 cup corn kernel (175 g)
- 2 teaspoons elote spice mix
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (60 g)
- ¼ cup sour cream (60 g)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (100 g), divided
- ¼ cup cotija cheese (25 g), plus more for garnish
- 4 flour tortillas, 9 in (22 cm)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Calories 570
- Fat 39g
- Carbs 39g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 3g
- Protein 19g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the corn kernels, elote spice mix, lime zest and juice, cilantro, mayonnaise, sour cream, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, and the Cotija cheese until well-combined.
- Lay a tortilla on a plate or cutting board and spread about 3 tablespoons of the corn mixture on top, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. Sprinkle with a third of the remaining ½ cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat to make 2 more layers, then place the remaining tortilla on top. Wrap the tortilla stack tightly in plastic and refrigerate overnight. Cover the bowl with the remaining street corn mixture and refrigerate.
- Fill a large, high-walled skillet a little less than halfway with vegetable oil. Heat over medium-high heat until the temperature reaches 350°F (180°C).
- Remove the tortilla cake from the refrigerator, unwrap, and slice into 8 wedges.
- Working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan, fry the tortilla wedges in the hot oil until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Top the tortilla cake with the remaining street corn mix, cilantro, and Cotija cheese. Serve warm.