Stuffing Vs. Dressing
Whether you're a fan of the classic bread stuffing or the Southern cornbread dressing, this dish has got you covered for a scrumptious side at your festive feast.
May 04, 2023
94% would make again
for 8 servings
- 4 cups prepared cornbread (340 g)
- 4 cups buttermilk biscuit (340 g)
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb pork sausage (455 g), or turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup white onion (150 g), chopped
- 1 cup celery (225 g), chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- ½ cup unsalted butter (155 g), 1 stick
- 2 cups chicken stock (480 g), or turkey stock
- ¾ cup heavy cream (180 mL)
- Calories 784
- Fat 50g
- Carbs 71g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 27g
- Protein 17g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C) if making dressing.
- Preheat the oven to 325˚F (160˚C) if making stuffing.
- Crumble the cornbread and biscuits into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the sage and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the onion and celery, and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the sage, rosemary, and thyme, and cook until fragrant, 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the butter and chicken stock. Melt the butter completely and bring to a boil. Add the heavy cream and stir to combine.
- Add the sausage mixture to the crumbled cornbread and biscuits, and mix to combine. Pour the chicken stock mixture, a bit at a time, over the bread mixture. Mix well.
- If you are making dressing, transfer the mixture to a buttered 9x13-inch (23x33 cm) baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 40 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 10-15 minutes more, or until the top is lightly browned. Do not overbake.
- If you are making stuffing, stuff the mixture into the cavity of a small turkey [12-14 pounds (5.5-.6.5 kilograms)]. Bake for 4-5 hours, or until the temperature of the stuffing reaches 165˚F (75˚C).
- Serve warm with your favorite Thanksgiving dishes.
- Ready for a smarter way to find recipes? Use Botatouille, our AI-powered food genius in the Tasty app. Download here