64% would make again
Summer BBQ Board
This BBQ-themed board is easy to put together, and simple to make! Try our air fryer corn ribs brushed with an ancho chile butter sauce, or our brisket biscuits topped with a homemade BBQ sauce. Lastly, a refreshing watermelon, pineapple salad with mint, cilantro, and some serrano peppers for a little kick. Feel free to fill in the board with some store-bought BBQ favorites like cornbread, baked beans, coleslaw, and watermelon!
for 6 servings
- 3 lb brisket (1.2 g)
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt, divided, plus 1 teaspoon
- 3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cola (240 mL)
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce (175 g)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 cups self raising flour (500 g), plus more for dusting
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, chilled
- 2 cups buttermilk (480 mL)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
- 24 pickle chips
Watermelon Feta Salad
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (60 mL)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (60 mL)
- 3 tablespoons chile lime seasoning
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup olive oil (120 mL)
- 1 small seedless watermelon, peeled and diced
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 tablespoons serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (55 g)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves (10 g), loosely packed
- ½ cup fresh mint leaf (10 g), loosely packed
- 4 ears corn, shucked
- ½ stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (60 g)
- ¼ cup sour cream (60 g)
- ¼ cup crumbled cotija cheese (25 g)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves (10 g), loosely packed
- baked bean
- macaroni salad
- grilled kielbasa
- Lime wedge
- watermelon, slices
- Make the brisket: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place the brisket in a roasting pan or on a rimmed baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons of kosher salt and the black pepper, then sprinkle evenly across the entire brisket, making sure to cover the edges as well.
- Roast the brisket until a crust begins to form, about 1 hour. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F (150°C). Cover the brisket with foil and continue roasting until the internal temperature reaches 190°F (88°F) on a meat thermometer, about 2 hours. Remove the brisket from the oven and let rest for 20 minutes. Keep the oven on.
- Transfer the brisket to a cutting board and dice into 1-inch pieces. Return the brisket cubes to the pan.
- While the brisket is resting, make the sauce: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, boil the cola until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce. Stir to combine, then bring to a boil.
- Pour the sauce over the brisket cubes and toss to coat. Place the roasting pan, uncovered, into the oven and continue cooking until the sauce becomes thick and syrupy, about 1 hour.
- Make the biscuits: Increase the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C). Line a 9 x 13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Place a box grater in the center of the bowl and grate the chilled butter into the flour. Remove the box grater and pour the buttermilk into the bowl. Toss with your hands until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and flatten into a small square. Use a bench scraper to cut the dough in half and stack one half on top of the other, then press down again. Continue cutting and stacking until all of the flour is hydrated. Once the dough comes together, roll out to about 2 inches thick. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut out 12 rounds and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the biscuits until the tops are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush the tops with the melted butter, then sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Split the biscuits in half and place a couple pieces of brisket onto the bottom halves. Drizzle with some of the sauce and top each with 2 pickle chips. Place the tops of the biscuit on to complete the sandwiches.
- Make the watermelon feta salad: In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, vinegar, chile lime seasoning, and honey. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and continue whisking until emulsified.
- Add the watermelon, pineapple, serrano, feta, cilantro, and mint. Toss to coat evenly. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Make the corn ribs: Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the corn ears in half crosswise. Cut each corn half lengthwise into quarters.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter and ancho chile powder. Brush the corn ribs with ancho butter.
- Working in batches, arrange the corn ribs a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook for about 15 minutes, until the kernels begin to crisp at the edges and turn golden brown in the centers.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and sour cream. Transfer to a small zip-top bag and cut a small opening at the tip.
- Assemble the board: Set the ribs on a large board. Stack the corn ribs on the board and drizzle with the sour cream-mayonnaise mixture, then top with the Cotija cheese and cilantro. Fill the rest of the board with the brisket biscuits, watermelon feta salad, coleslaw, baked beans, macaroni salad, kielbasa, lime wedges, watermelon slices, and cornbread.