Summer Picnic Sandwich
This summer picnic sandwich is the perfect lunch for a day at the beach or a picnic in the park. Packed with savory ham, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers, and briny green olives, all tied together with lemon basil mayonnaise, it's a satisfying meal that's easy to take on the go.
for 4 servings
- ½ cup mayonnaise (120 g)
- ⅓ cup fresh basil (10 g), chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 lb sourdough loaf (455 g), boule (1 loaf)
- 4 slices ham
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella cheese (170 g), sliced
- ½ cup roasted red pepper (50 g)
- 6 oz tomato (170 g), sliced
- ¼ cup red onion (40 g), thinly sliced
- ¼ cup green olives (45 g), pitted, cut in half
- Calories 686
- Fat 38g
- Carbs 67g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 23g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Mix together mayonnaise, basil, salt, McCormick® Garlic Powder, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cut off the top of the sourdough loaf and set aside. Use your fingers to pull out the bread inside to create a bowl. (Save the inner bread for making bread crumbs). Spread the basil-garlic spread along the inside of the bread and on the inside of the bread lid.
- Begin layering ingredients inside the bowl. Start with 2 slices of ham. Cover with fresh mozzarella slices. Make sure to create an even layer that fully covers the inside of the mozzarella slices. Make sure to create an even layer that fully covers the inside of the bread bowl. Top with a layer of roasted red pepper slices, another 2 slices of ham, and a layer of tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Scatter red onion and olives on top. Place bread lid on the sandwich to close.
- Wrap the sandwich in plastic wrap. Place a heavy pot or large can on top of the sandwich and let sit for 2 hours. Unwrap, slice, and serve!
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.