88% would make again
Swedish Saffron Buns (Lussebullar)
featured in 6 Ways To Enjoy Buns
for 10 servings
- 1 cup milk (240 mL)
- ½ cup sugar (100 g), plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- ¼ oz active dry yeast
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour (560 g)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 large eggs, divided
- ¼ cup sour cream (60 g)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- raisin, or chocolate chips
- Calories 346
- Fat 10g
- Carbs 52g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and the saffron threads. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Once the milk is steaming, remove from the heat and let cool to 110˚F (43˚C).
- Sprinkle the yeast over the milk and let bubble, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, remaining sugar, salt, and cardamom.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the milk, 2 eggs, sour cream, and butter. Stir to combine, then, once the dough starts to come together, use your hands to incorporate fully.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean surface and knead until the dough is springy, about 5 minutes.
- Place the dough in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and flip onto a clean surface.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball about 2 inches (5 cm) wide, then roll into a cylinder about 12-14 inches (30 cm) long
- Swirl the dough into a S shape starting at one end until the middle and then the other end.
- Transfer the dough to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise for 30 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Beat the remaining egg and brush over the dough swirls. Place a single raisin or chocolate chip in the center of the swirls on each end.
- Bake the buns for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.