90% would make again
Sweet And Sour Chicken Lettuce Cups
featured in Chicken Lettuce Cups 4 Ways
These lettuce cups are a healthier alternative to classic sweet and sour chicken. Tender chicken is cooked in a sweet and tangy sauce, then served in fresh lettuce cups with crunchy vegetables and sesame seeds. Perfect for a light and satisfying lunch or dinner.
May 15, 2023
for 4 servings
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorn
- ½ medium sweet onion, halved
- ½ medium sweet onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, divided, 4 whole and 2 minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups water (1.4 L)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce (60 mL)
- ¼ cup honey (85 mL)
- ½ cup lime juice (80 mL)
- 4 large leaves romaine lettuce, for serving
- ¼ cup scallion (25 g), sliced
- Calories 266
- Fat 6g
- Carbs 29g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 24g
- Protein 25g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Place the chicken breasts, salt, peppercorns, halved onion, whole garlic cloves, bay leaves, and water in a large pot.
- Cover the pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once the water is simmering, cook for 10 minutes, until the chicken registers 165°F (74°C) when pierced with an instant-read thermometer.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and discard the cooking liquid. Using 2 forks, pull the chicken apart until shredded.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add the diced onion and a pinch of salt and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the soy sauce, honey, and lime juice and stir until the mixture has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the chicken cool for 5 minutes before spooning into the lettuce leaves.
- Top with sliced scallions.