88% would make again
Sweet Potato And Chickpea Nuggets
featured in Healthy Veggie Nuggets 4 Ways
These Sweet Potato and Chickpea Nuggets are a tasty and nutritious way to satisfy your nugget cravings. Loaded with sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and spices, they're crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
May 05, 2023
for 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 15 oz can of chickpeas (439 g), drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil (10 g)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (60 g)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (115 g)
- sauce of choice, for dipping
- Calories 350
- Fat 4g
- Carbs 64g
- Fiber 17g
- Sugar 10g
- Protein 12g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and flax meal and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan bring 6 cups (1 ½ L) of water to a boil, then add the sweet potatoes. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes, then drain.
- In a food processor, combine the sweet potatoes, chickpeas, basil, flax "egg", garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder, and flour and pulse until combined. Add the bread crumbs and pulse to incorporate.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture into your hands and shape into a nugget, then place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining sweet potato mixture.
- Bake the nuggets for 20 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden brown. Alternatively, pan-fry in a large skillet with a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat until both sides are golden brown, about 10 minutes total.
- Let the nuggets cool for 5 minutes before serving with your choice of dipping sauce.