Sweet Potato And Chickpea Nuggets
These Sweet Potato and Chickpea Nuggets are a tasty and nutritious way to satisfy your nugget cravings. Loaded with sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and spices, they're crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 15 oz can of chickpeas (439 g), drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil (10 g)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (60 g)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (115 g)
- sauce of choice, for dipping
- Calories 350
- Fat 4g
- Carbs 64g
- Fiber 17g
- Sugar 10g
- Protein 12g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and flax meal and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan bring 6 cups (1 ½ L) of water to a boil, then add the sweet potatoes. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes, then drain.
- In a food processor, combine the sweet potatoes, chickpeas, basil, flax "egg", garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder, and flour and pulse until combined. Add the bread crumbs and pulse to incorporate.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture into your hands and shape into a nugget, then place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining sweet potato mixture.
- Bake the nuggets for 20 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden brown. Alternatively, pan-fry in a large skillet with a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat until both sides are golden brown, about 10 minutes total.
- Let the nuggets cool for 5 minutes before serving with your choice of dipping sauce.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.