Sweet Potato Guerrilla Tacos
These sweet potato guerrilla tacos are a flavor explosion with a mix of sweet and savory, plus a bit of heat from the chipotle crema. They're a vegetarian-friendly option that will leave you feeling satisfied.
for 4 servings
- 1 ½ lb sweet potato (680 g), preferably japanese, diced
- 1 bottle white wine
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 leeks
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic
- 12 corn tortillas
- 12 oz oaxacan cheese (350 g), or panela cheese
- ½ cup feta cheese (110 g), crumbled
- ¼ cup toasted pine nut (35 g), or slivered almonds
- 1 cup scallion (100 g), green parts only, thinly sliced
- Calories 809
- Fat 43g
- Carbs 76g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugar 14g
- Protein 35g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Trim and discard the tough green parts from the leeks, then cut them in in half lengthwise. Swirl in water to remove any sand. Pat dry.
- On a large baking tray, place the leeks, sweet potatoes and garlic. Pour melted butter and salt evenly over the vegetables.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring the white wine, thyme and parsley to a boil and cook until it loses the raw alcohol smell, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to a bare simmer.
- When the leeks are golden take both leeks and garlic off the tray. Place potatoes back in the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Add leeks and garlic into the simmering wine sauce. Cook until leeks are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Pull the leeks from the cooking liquid, pat them dry and add to the butter to cook briefly on both sides, about 3 minutes total.
- Remove the stem ends from the leeks and cut into 2-inch (5 cm) lengths.
- For each taco, heat 2 tortillas on a griddle or in a large skillet over medium-high heat with a little butter. Place 2 slices of Oaxaca cheese next to them on the griddle. When the tortillas are warmed through, stack them on top of the cheese.
- When the cheese has browned on one side, remove the tortillas and cheese to a plate, cheese-side up.
- Add 2 to 3 strips of leek and some sweet potato. Spoon over 1½ to 2 teaspoons salsa and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons crumbled feta, a few toasted pine nuts, and 1 teaspoon minced green onions and serve immediately. Repeat using the remaining ingredients.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.