Sweet & Sour Pork
Get ready for a flavor explosion with this sweet and sour pork recipe! Juicy pieces of pork are tossed in a tangy sauce with peppers and pineapple for the perfect balance of sweet and savory.
May 14, 2023
97% would make again
for 6 servings
- 2 lb pork shoulder (910 g), or pork butt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup green onion (25 g)
- ½ cup soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cups cornstarch (190 g)
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 8 oz chopped pineapple with syrup (225 g)
- ¼ cup vinegar (60 mL)
- ¼ cup sugar (50 g)
- ¼ cup ketchup (55 g)
- 4 ½ cups cooked white rice (900 g), for serving
- Calories 690
- Fat 39g
- Carbs 39g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 14g
- Protein 41g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Cube the pork and place in a medium bowl.
- Add the garlic, pepper, green onions, and ¼ cup soy sauce. Toss to coat the pork. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat until it reaches 350˚F (180˚C).
- Add the eggs and cornstarch to 2 separate small bowls. Coat the pork in the egg, then in the cornstarch. fry until crispy and golden (about 2 minutes).
- Fry the pork in the hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a clean large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell peppers and sauté until tender.
- Once the vegetables are tender, add the pineapple and syrup. Stir for 30 seconds, then add the vinegar, remaining ¼ cup soy sauce, sugar, and ketchup. Stir constantly for 3-4 minutes, until the liquid evaporates and the sauce thickens.
- Add the pork to the pan and toss to coat evenly.
- Serve the pork over rice and garnish with green onions, if desired.
- Hate losing that perfect recipe? Save and organize recipes easily on the Tasty app. Download now.