99% would make again
featured in 1 Lb Ground Beef, 4 Easy Dinners
If you’re craving tacos but not all the carbs, you’ll love these lightened-up stuffed peppers. The peppers are hollowed out and roasted in the oven, then stuffed with ground beef, black beans, brown rice, corn, and salsa. It’s everything you love about tacos, all in an edible vegetable bowl. You can always swap ground beef for chicken or turkey, or stick to rice and keep this recipe totally vegetarian.
for 6 peppers
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 large bell peppers, or 8 medium, ensure they have a flat base so they will stand up when cooking
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cup brown rice (225 g), cooked
- 1 cup frozen corn (165 g)
- 1 jar medium chunky salsa, 1 jar, 16 oz
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix, 1 packet, or make your own
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese (150 g), grated, or mexican blend cheese
- guacamole, to garnish, optional
- sour cream, to garnish, optional
Make Your Own Taco Season
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Calories 667
- Fat 28g
- Carbs 66g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugar 13g
- Protein 38g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Cut off the top and remove the seeds from each pepper.
- Place in a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes in a preheated oven at 350˚F (175˚C).
- While the Peppers are roasting - heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and season with entire taco seasoning packet. Allow beef to brown on all sides, about 5-6 minutes.
- NOTE: If you made your own taco seasoning, you'll want to add 2 tablespoons. The ingredients above will make more than this recipe requires.
- Add diced onion - continuing to cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to Medium. Mix in the black beans, brown rice, corn, and salsa. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add in 1 cup (100g) of cheese and stir until incorporated and the cheese has melted. Remove from heat.
- Remove peppers from oven and fill each with the taco mixture. Top with additional cheese.
- Return to the oven for 15 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Top each pepper with a generous scoop of guacamole and sour cream. Top with additional cheese.