If you’re craving tacos but not all the carbs, you’ll love these lightened-up stuffed peppers. The peppers are hollowed out and roasted in the oven, then stuffed with ground beef, black beans, brown rice, corn, and salsa. It’s everything you love about tacos, all in an edible vegetable bowl. You can always swap ground beef for chicken or turkey, or stick to rice and keep this recipe totally vegetarian.
for 6 peppers
- 6 large bell peppers, ensure they have a flat base so they will stand up when cooking
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground beef (455 g)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix, (see recipe below to make your own)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (225 g)
- 1 cup frozen corn (165 g)
- 16 oz medium chunky salsa
- 1 ½ cups grated Mexican blend cheese (150 g), divided, plus more for serving
- guacamole, for serving
- sour cream, for serving
Make Your Own Taco Seasoning (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Calories 514
- Fat 24g
- Carbs 43g
- Fiber 18g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 33g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cut off the tops of the bell peppers, then run a paring knife around the inside edges to remove the seeds and ribs. Place the peppers upright in a baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the peppers are roasting, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and break up with a wooden spoon, then add the taco seasoning and mix to combine. Cook until the beef is browned, 5–6 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, 4–5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then mix in the black beans, brown rice, corn, and salsa.
- Add 1 cup (100 g) of cheese, then stir until incorporated and the cheese has melted. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Spoon the beef filling into the peppers, then top with the remaining ½ cup (50 g) of shredded cheese.
- Return the peppers to the oven for 15 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Top each pepper with generous scoops of guacamole and sour cream and more cheese.
- TACO SEASONING: In an airtight container, mix together the chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, cornstarch, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and dried oregano. Store in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
- Cook smarter, not harder. Use our AI chef Botatouille on the Tasty app. Download now.