Dive into the world of Timpano, a show-stopping Italian masterpiece that's sure to impress your guests. With layers of pasta, meatballs, salami, and cheese, this indulgent dish is a true celebration of flavors and textures.
for 8 servings
- 16 oz '00' grade pasta flour (455 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 9 egg yolks
- 15 oz ricotta cheese (425 g)
- ½ cup fresh parsley (20 g), chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil (20 g), chopped
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (55 g)
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups dried rigatoni (200 g), dried
- 2 cups dried jumbo shell pasta (200 g)
- 2 cups marinara sauce (520 g)
- olive oil, for greasing pot
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese (225 g), torn into pieces
- 10 meatballs
- 5 hard-boiled eggs
- 10 slices provolone cheese
- 2 cups onion (300 g), caramelized
- 8 hot italian sausages, cooked
- marinara sauce, for serving
- Calories 1168
- Fat 57g
- Carbs 101g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 59g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the pasta dough. Combine the flour and salt and make a small mountain of flour on a clean, flat surface. Make a well in the middle.
- Add 2 eggs to the well, and using a fork, carefully incorporate the eggs into the flour. Add the egg yolks and carefully mix into the flour.
- Once the eggs are incorporated, knead the dough by pulling, stretching, and folding for 3-5 minutes, or until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball, and wrap it in plastic wrap. Rest in a fridge for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Make the ricotta-herb mixture. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, parsley, basil, Parmesan cheese, egg, salt, and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the rigatoni, then the jumbo shell pasta for 5 minutes less than the suggested cooking time. Transfer the cooked pasta to two separate medium bowls.
- Mix the marinara sauce with cooked rigatoni. Set aside.
- Stuff the jumbo shells with the ricotta-herb mixture. Set aside.
- Grease 10-inch (25 cm) diameter dutch oven with olive oil.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the pasta dough on a lightly floured surface until it is about ⅛ inches (3 mm) thick and 2 times larger than the Dutch oven you are using.
- Fold the rolled out dough into a triangle and transfer it to the pot, pressing down around the edges, letting the excess dough hang over the sides of the pot.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F (190˚C)
- Layer the pasta-lined pot with the rigatoni, mozzarella, meatballs, hard-boiled eggs, provolone, ricotta-stuffed shells, caramelized onions, and sausages.
- Fold the pasta dough over the sausages and cover with the lid. Bake for 45 minutes, then remove the lid and bake for 30 minutes more. Cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Invert the timpano onto a cutting board and cool for 10 more minutes before cutting.
- Serve with marinara sauce.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.