98% would make again
Tofu “Egg” Breakfast Sandwich
featured in 4 Easy Recipes To Help You Go Vegan
June 10, 2019
for 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 oz tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric, divided
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 hashbrowns, cooked
- 2 ciabatta rolls
- sliced tomato, to serve
- sliced avocado, to serve
- Remove tofu from package and drain. Wrap the tofu in paper towels and cover with a couple heavy books. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes to remove excess water.
- Cut tofu in half, reserving one half for a future recipe. Slice into 4 rectangles.
- Add olive oil to pan over medium heat. Add the tofu rectangles, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, and ⅛ teaspoon turmeric, and let brown for 3 to 4 minutes before flipping over. Repeat on other side with other half of seasonings.
- When both sides are browned, transfer tofu to plate.
- To make sauce, combine vegan mayo and ketchup in small bowl.
- Assemble sandwiches by coating ciabatta roll with sauce, then stack on 1 hashbrown, tofu “eggs” sliced tomato and sliced avocado. Repeat with remaining ingredients.