Tofu Nuggets That Taste Like Chicken
Bite into these crispy, golden Tofu Nuggets that'll have you convinced they're chicken! Perfect for dipping, these nuggets are a guilt-free, protein-packed delight that'll leave you craving more.
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 3 servings
- 14 oz extra firm tofu (395 g)
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 ½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, or other neutral oil
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- ¼ cup unsweetened soy milk (60 mL)
- ¾ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup all purpose flour (60 g)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup unsweetened soy milk (60 mL)
- 1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs (90 g)
- 1 ½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, if baking tofu
- 4 cups canola oil (960 mL), if deep-frying tofu
- nonstick cooking spray, if baking tofu
- ¼ cup honey mustard (55 g)
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce (55 g)
- Drain the tofu, then wrap in a clean dish towel and place a heavy object, such as a cast iron pan, on top. Press the tofu for 20–30 minutes, until the towel is soaked through.
- Place the pressed tofu back in its container and wrap with reusable wrap. Freeze for at least 6 hours, up to overnight.
- Remove the tofu from the freezer and place in a microwave-safe bowl over a clean dish towel. Defrost in the microwave until completely thawed and the dish towel is soaked through, 10–15 minutes.
- Wrap the tofu in a clean dish towel and press again for another 20–30 minutes, until the dish towel is soaked through and the tofu is half its original thickness.
- While the tofu is pressing, make the marinade: In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, grapeseed oil, hot sauce, soy milk, and apple cider vinegar.
- Tear the tofu into bite-size pieces that resemble chicken tenders or nuggets. Add the tofu to the marinade and stir to coat. Marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature, or up to 1 hour, stirring halfway through.
- While the tofu is marinating, set up the breading station: In a shallow bowl, mix together the flour and cornstarch. In a separate shallow bowl, mix together the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. In a third shallow bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, and olive oil (only if baking the tofu).
- If deep-frying the tofu, heat the canola oil in a medium pot over medium heat until it reaches 375°F (190°C).
- Alternatively, if baking the tofu, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- When the tofu is done marinating, coat the pieces first the flour mixture, then in the soy milk mixture, then again in the flour mixture, again in the soy milk mixture, and finally in the bread crumb mixture.
- If deep-frying the tofu, add the tofu to the hot oil in batches and cook for 90–120 seconds, until golden brown and crispy. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- If baking the tofu, line a baking sheet with a nonstick mat or parchment paper and grease with nonstick spray. Add the tofu to the baking sheet and spray the tops with nonstick spray, then bake for 20–25 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown.
- Serve with honey mustard or barbecue sauce for dipping.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.