96% would make again
Top Chef Junior Pork Bánh Mì Burger
for 4 servings
- ½ cup mayonnaise (120 g)
- 1 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce
Carrot and Daikon Pickles
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut into matchstick strips
- 1 medium daikon radish, peeled, cut into matchstick strips
- ¼ cup sugar (50 g)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water (240 mL)
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar (120 mL)
- 1 lb ground pork (455 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves (10 g)
- 1 baguette, toasted, sliced in half lengthwise and cut into 4-inch (10-cm) buns
- Calories 874
- Fat 48g
- Carbs 73g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 32g
- Protein 40g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Sriracha aioli: Combine both ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Carrot and daikon pickles: Combine carrots, radish, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Using fingertips, massage salt and sugar into vegetables until dissolved. Add water and rice vinegar. Set aside.
- Burgers: Combine the pork, garlic, scallions, fish sauce, chili sauce, sugar, pepper, and salt in a large bowl. Mix gently until spices are evenly distributed, but don’t overwork meat. Form into four balls.
- Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Place burgers on pan and use a wide, stiff spatula to gently smash the balls into flat patties, about 3⁄4-inch (2-cm) thick.
- Cook until the bottom of each burger has formed a brown crust, about 3–4 minutes. Flip each patty and cook through, approximately 3–4 minutes.
- Assembly: Spread about 1 tablespoon sriracha aioli on the bottom of each baguette quarter. Place a burger on each baguette, topping with carrot and daikon pickles, sliced cucumber, jalapeños, and cilantro leaves.