97% would make again
Turkey Skillet Pot Pie With Buttermilk Biscuits
featured in Fall Lunches
Recipe by amandafrederickson.com
for 6 servings
- 12 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 ¼ cups flour (280 g), divided
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock (355 mL)
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetable (300 g)
- 2 cups turkey breast (250 g), cooked and shredded
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk (175 mL)
- ¼ cup heavy cream (60 mL), optional
- Calories 687
- Fat 39g
- Carbs 53g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 5g
- Protein 28g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- In a 10-inch (25 cm) cast iron skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the ¼ cup (30 g) of flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Add the chicken stock and salt to taste. Cook until the stock has reduced and thickened.
- Add in the rosemary, frozen vegetables, turkey, and additional salt, and stir until fully mixed. Remove from the heat.
- Add remaining flour, baking soda, 8 tablespoons of butter, and pinch of salt to a bowl. Using a wooden spoon or your hands, mix together until the butter is the size of peas.
- Add the buttermilk and mix until the dough barely comes together, about 1 minute.
- Place the dough on a floured countertop and gently form into a 1½-inch (4 cm) thick layer.
- Use a 3-inch (6 cm) round cutter to cut 10-12 biscuits, rerolling the dough as needed.
- Place the biscuits on the turkey in the cast iron skillet. Brush the top of the biscuits with heavy cream (optional). Bake for 20-25 minutes, until biscuits are golden brown.
- Serve immediately.