Ukrainian Holubtsi Or Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
August 24, 2021
for 12 servings
- 1 large green cabbage
- 2 ½ lb ground beef (1.1 kg)
- 2 cups cooked rice (400 g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, julienned
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 cans condensed tomato soup
- 1 can tomato
- 1 bottle chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 4 dried bay leaves
- Calories 343
- Fat 14g
- Carbs 27g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 25g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Cook rice according to package directions and set aside to cool completely once done.
- Adjust oven rack to lower half of oven to allow for height of roasting pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Boil water in a large pot. While water is heating, remove tough outer leaves of the cabbage and reserve. Core around the stem of the cabbage at enough of an angle to remove. Gently place cabbage into boiling water core side down. Add additional water to ensure cabbage is not touching the bottom of pot.
- Reduce heat just a little and boil cabbage for about 5 minutes or until outer leaves become soft. Using kitchen tongs, remove the outer 2 or 3 leaves intact to a colander placed over a bowl to catch the water. Continue with remaining cabbage leaves one by one, allowing a minute or two between leaves for underlying leaves to soften. You want them to peel apart in one in-tact piece.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, cooked rice, chopped onion, eggs, and salt. Using your hands, work the mixture until combined.
- Position your cooked cabbage leaves alongside your bowl with the mixture in preparation for rolling/stuffing the dumplings. Before stuffing, prepare a large roasting pan by emptying one can of condensed tomato soup or a bit of the canned tomatoes in the bottom and spreading to coat. You do not need much.
- Begin rolling/stuffing the cabbage leaves one at a time. Repeat until all of the meat mixture has been used.
- Once all of the cabbage rolls are tucked tightly in the roasting pan, scatter the pepper strips and the cherry tomatoes on top. If there are remaining unstuffed cabbage leaves left, chop them finely and scatter atop as well. Pour the canned tomatoes, the remaining can of tomato soup, and the Heinz Chili Sauce atop the dumplings. Sprinkle with dried basil and add bay leaves. Dunk the reserved outer leaves detached from the cabbage at the beginning of the recipe into the still hot water used to soften the cabbage. This is simply to remove any grit from the surface of the leaves. Use the outer leaves as a 'blanket' and cover the dumplings completely.
- Place the lid on the roasting pan and bake at 350°F for 2 hours. When 2 hours is up, turn off the oven heat, crack the oven door, and leave the roasting pan in the oven, undisturbed, for an additional hour.
- Let rest until rolls are set. Then, spoon sauce over the cabbage rolls and serve alongside fresh bread of choice.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.