96% would make again
for 3 servings
- 1 lb flank steak (455 g)
- ½ cup soy sauce (120 mL)
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 mL)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 packages corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (300 g)
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise (160 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 chipotle peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup guacamole (150 g)
- 1 cup pico de gallo (240 g)
- ½ cup queso fresco (55 g), cotija cheese
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves (40 g), optional
- Combine steak and all marinade ingredients in a large plastic storage bag or bowl. Toss to coat. Marinade at least 1 hour or up to 24.
- Remove meat from marinade, discard.
- Heat a grill, grill pan or large saute pan to high heat. Cook to desired doneness. Allow the meat to rest at least 10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
- To prepare the sauce, combine mayo, chipotles, lime juice and salt. Stir to combine.
- Heat a saute pan to medium heat.
- Place one corn tortilla in the pan, sprinkle about ¼ cup (25 G) cheddar cheese on top. Cover with a second corn tortilla. Cook just until the cheese is melted, flipping once. The tortillas should be soft and pliable, not crispy.
- To assemble the tacos, top the corn tortillas with a spoonful of guacamole.
- Add few slices of steak, then top with pico de gallo, cotija cheese and some of the sauce. Garnish with cilantro if desired.