Vegan Bahamian Macaroni & Cheese
This recipe was submitted by a Tasty Community Member, and hasn’t been tested by the Tasty recipe team.Submit your own recipe here!
for 9 servings
- 8 oz whole grain penne pasta (225 g), or elbow pasta
- 12 oz silken tofu (350 g), pureed
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ½ medium bell pepper, chopped
- ½ jalapeño, chopped
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk (120 mL)
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter
- 14 oz vegan shredded cheddar cheese (415 g)
- 3 tablespoons paprika, or to taste, diided
- 2 tablespoons turmeric, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon thyme powder, and/or ground thyme.
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, a few drops
- nonstick cooking spray
- Calories 355
- Fat 22g
- Carbs 32g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 8g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Boil pasta according to box instructions. After cooking, drain, then let cool for about 5 minutes in a medium-sized bowl while you chop and sauté the vegetables.
- Purée tofu until smooth.
- Next, pour melted butter over a bowl of noodles then stir.
- Add the chopped vegetables; stir. Then, add the coconut milk and pureed tofu to the mixture and stir followed by your choice of seasonings as listed above.
- Add 7 oz of shredded cheese and mix well.
- Spray a 8x8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and spread macaroni mixture in evenly.
- Top generously with the remainder of shredded cheese until pasta mix is covered. Sprinkle paprika on top to add a little more color.
- Place the filled pan in the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool, then cut into 9 squares.
- It is delicious hot or room-temperature.