96% would make again
Vegan Challah Bread
featured in How To Bake Bread Like A Pro!
Inspired by challahhub.com
for 6 servings
- 1.25 oz yeast (7 g)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (110 g), plus 1 pinch granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water (245 mL), plus 3 tablespoons warm water, divided
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted, divided, plus more for greasing bowl
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (375 g), plus more as needed
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- Calories 443
- Fat 14g
- Carbs 68g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 12g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a medium bowl, combine the yeast and a pinch of sugar. Pour 1 cup (240 ml) of warm water over the yeast mixture while turning the bowl so it stirs itself. Rest for 5 minutes, or until the yeast has bloomed and is bubbly, then add 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix 3 tablespoons of melted coconut oil, the remaining 3 tablespoons of warm water, and the baking powder.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 cups (385 g) of flour, the table salt, and remaining ½ cup (110 g) of granulated sugar. While stirring, add the coconut oil and yeast mixtures to the dry ingredients and combine with a spoon. Once the dough is smooth, gradually add up to 1 cup (125 g) of flour and incorporate by kneading the dough with your hands (you may not need all of the flour).
- Knead until the dough isn’t sticking to the sides of the bowl, then transfer to a large bowl greased with coconut oil. Cover with a damp towel and let rest on the counter for 2 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and turn out onto a floured workspace. Knead gently to get out any large air bubbles, and form into a log shape. Depending on the braid you are planning to do, cut the dough into the appropriate amount of even pieces.
- Braid into desired shape (braiding options below) and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with a damp towel and let rise again for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325˚F (165˚C).
- Lightly brush the challah with melted coconut oil for a nice shine and bake for 25-30 minutes, brushing with more coconut oil halfway through, until golden brown. To check for doneness try knocking on the bottom of the bread. If it sounds hollow, it’s done!
- Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.