Vegan Shepherd's Pie
This vegan shepherd's pie is a comforting and hearty dish that is perfect for a cozy night in. Made with lentils and vegetables and topped with a creamy mashed potato crust, it's a satisfying and delicious meal.
for 6 servings
- 4 russet potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- ½ yellow onion
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms (150 g)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups vegetable broth (472 mL)
- ⅓ cup red wine (78 mL)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- soy milk, or rice milk, as needed
- vegan butter, as needed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Calories 463
- Fat 20g
- Carbs 61g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Peel, chop, and boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile, chop the carrots, celery, and onion, sauté in vegan butter or oil for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, and cook until the edges begin to darken. Add the garlic, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato paste, flour, thyme, and sage.
- Slowly add the veggie broth and wine, stirring continuously. Let simmer for a few minutes to thicken.
- Mash the potatoes and add the soy milk and vegan butter. Add more if needed until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay the veggie filling into a baking dish, the spread the mashed potatoes over top. At this time you can get creative with designs and patterns for the top. The rougher the surface, the crispier it will turn out.
- Spray the surface with cooking oil. Broil for 10-15 minutes, or until the top is crispy.
- All your favorite recipes, stored in one place. Download the Tasty app and never lose a recipe again.