Vegan Spotted Dick & Custard
Don't let the name fool you - this vegan dessert is pure decadence. This sweet, tangy fruitcake topped with a rich and creamy custard is a dessert that will satisfy any sweet tooth. Plus, it's vegan-friendly, so everyone can indulge!
for 6 servings
- ½ lb self raising flour (225 g)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegan butter (125 g), frozen then grated
- ¼ cup caster sugar (75 g)
- 1 cup currants (120 g)
- ½ orange, zest
- ½ lemon, zest
- ½ cup coconut milk (190 mL)
- vegan butter, for greasing
- 2 ½ tablespoons corn flour
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- 4 tablespoons water
- ½ cup caster sugar (100 g)
- 2 cups coconut milk (400 mL)
- ½ cup vegan double cream (150 mL)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Calories 840
- Fat 63g
- Carbs 66g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 31g
- Protein 7g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder and vegan butter. Using the tips of your fingers rub together until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Next add the sugar, currants, zest of an orange and lemon. Stir until fully combined.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the coconut milk. Stir until a wet dough forms.
- Place the dough into a greased pudding basin. Place greaseproof paper over the top of the dough and cover with a lid. If your basin doesn’t have a lid simply use tin foil.
- Take a large pot and place a small up-turned saucer into the bottom. Next take a large piece of greaseproof paper and fold into a long strip and place it into the pot. (You want it to be long enough so it sits along the bottom and up the sides of the basin)
- Place the basin on top of the saucer and grease proof paper. Fill the pot ¼ full of cold water, cover with a lid and place over a low-medium heat.
- Once the water comes to a simmer cook the pudding for around 1 hour 30 minutes or until the sponge is cooked through.
- To a small bowl add the cornflour, turmeric & water. Stir until combined and set aside.
- Next add the caster sugar, vanilla extract, coconut milk & vegan double cream. Whisk until combined and then pour in your cornflour mix. Stir until fully combined.
- Place a medium sized pan over a medium heat and your custard mix. Cook for 10 minutes (or until it has thickened and glossy) continuously stirring.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and enjoy!
- Love this recipe? Download the Tasty app to save it and discover others like it.