Vegan Spring Roll In A Bowl
Freshen up your daily routine with this vegan spring roll in a bowl. Full of vibrant vegetables and herbs, this dish will leave you smiling.
for 4 servings
Spring Roll Bowl
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves (10 g)
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaf (10 g)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves (10 g)
- 1 jalapeño
- 7 oz fine rice vermicelli noodles (200 g)
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup bean sprout (100 g)
Rice Paper Chips
- canola oil, or vegetable oil for frying
- 4 round rice paper wrappers, 6 in (15 cm) wrappers
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar (50 g)
- ¼ cup warm water (60 mL)
- ¼ cup tamari (60 mL)
- ⅓ cup lime juice (80 mL)
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce, such as Huy Fong Foods (optional)
- Calories 489
- Fat 19g
- Carbs 73g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 16g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Prep the vegetables: Julienne the carrot, cucumber, and red bell pepper. Chop the basil, mint, and cilantro. Slice the jalapeño into rings.
- Make the rice paper chips: Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat until hot (test by inserting chopsticks into the oil; if bubbles form around them, the oil is hot enough).
- Using scissors, cut the rice paper wrappers into quarters.
- Working 1 or 2 at a time, gently drop the rice paper quarters into the hot oil and fry for just 1–2 seconds, until they are white and puffed. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining rice paper wedges. Set aside until ready to use.
- Make the sauce: Add the garlic, rice vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar, warm water, tamari, lime juice, and chili sauce, if using, to a blender and blend until fully combined. Transfer to a bowl and set aside until ready to use. The sauce will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. Add the rice noodles and stir to separate. Cook until barely tender, 2–3 minutes. Drain and rinse thoroughly with cool water to stop the cooking process and so the noodles don't stick together (toss a little bit of sesame oil if they start to stick).
- Build the bowls: Thinly slice the avocado. Divide the bean sprouts and rice noodles among 4 bowls. Add some of the chopped herbs. Arrange the carrot, cucumber, bell pepper, jalapeño, avocado, and tofu, if using, on top. Drizzle each bowl with 3 tablespoons of the sauce. Serve with the rice paper chips and more sauce alongside.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.