You won’t miss the meat in these hearty vegetarian enchiladas! Sweet potatoes and black beans are cooked with garlic, onion, and spices, then wrapped in tortillas and baked with enchilada sauce and lots of shredded Mexican cheese for a melty, saucy dish you won’t be able to resist.
for 4 servings
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 1 lb sweet potato (425 g), peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups enchilada sauce (480 mL), divided
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded mexican cheese blend (200 g)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (10 g), finely chopped
- cotija cheese, for garnish - optional
- Calories 818
- Fat 24g
- Carbs 110g
- Fiber 50g
- Sugar 23g
- Protein 30g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the sweet potatoes and cook until fork-tender, 10 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes through a colander.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, and chili powder, and cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add the sweet potatoes, black beans, and salt and cook until warmed through, about 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of enchilada sauce to the bottom of the prepared baking dish and use a spatula to spread evenly.
- Scoop ½ cup of the sweet potato mixture onto the lower half of a tortilla and roll up. Place seam side-down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining filling and tortillas, arranging in a row. Top with the remaining cup of enchilada sauce. Sprinkle the Mexican cheese blend on top.
- Bake the enchiladas for about 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Top the enchiladas with the cilantro and Cotija cheese, if desired, and serve immediately.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.