Veggie Chili Cornbread Casserole
This hearty casserole is packed with veggies and topped with a fluffy cornbread crust. The chili is made with beans, corn, tomatoes, and a blend of spices, making it a filling and flavorful meal that is perfect for chilly evenings.
for 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 28 oz diced tomato (795 g), 1 can with juices
- 15 oz black beans (425 g), 1 can, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz kidney bean (425 g), 1 can, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz pinto bean (425 g), 1 can, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn (175 g)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth (480 g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups milk (360 mL)
- 1 ½ cups yellow cornmeal (225 g)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125 g)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, granulated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 jalapeño, small, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Calories 814
- Fat 38g
- Carbs 106g
- Fiber 18g
- Sugar 18g
- Protein 26g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, carrot, and bell pepper and stir. Cook for about 8 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the oregano, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, cinnamon, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, and corn and stir to combine.
- Add the lime juice and vegetable broth and stir. Increase the heat to high and bring the chili to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In the meantime, prepare the cornbread batter: In a medium bowl, whisk the egg and milk until well-combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Add the melted butter and stir to combine. Add the jalapeño and stir to incorporate.
- Remove the chili from the heat. Pour the cornbread batter over the chili and use a spatula to smooth the top and make sure it covers the chili completely.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the cornbread is fully cooked and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Garnish the cornbread with sliced jalapeño and chopped cilantro.
- Your favorite recipes are just a click away. Download the Tasty app to save and organize your favorites.