Veggie-Packed Chickpea Pot Pie
This vegetarian twist on a classic dish is a comforting and satisfying meal. Packed with flavorful vegetables and protein-rich chickpeas, this pot pie is sure to be a hit with vegetarians and meat-lovers alike.
for 6 servings
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn (175 g)
- 1 cup broccoli (150 g)
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup mushroom (75 g), quartered
- 1 cup canned chickpea (165 g), drained and rinsed
- ½ cup fresh parsley (20 g), chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock (480 mL)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (15 g)
- 2 tablespoons soy milk, or almond milk
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- Calories 642
- Fat 34g
- Carbs 73g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugar 7g
- Protein 13g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat and add the potatoes. Cook in gently boiling water for 10-15 minutes, until they are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander.
- Divide the potatoes into two medium bowls and mash half of them. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until the oil is shimmering.
- Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the celery, corn, broccoli, carrot, mushrooms, chickpeas, parsley, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. Add salt and pepper to taste, and stir.
- Add the fresh rosemary and thyme sprigs. Stir and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender but still slightly firm.
- Remove the rosemary and thyme sprigs.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and mix well.
- Pour in half of the vegetable stock and stir.
- Add the nutritional yeast and stir well.
- Pour in half of the remaining vegetable stock and cook for about 2 minutes while continuing to stir.
- Incorporate the mashed potatoes and enough of the remaining stock to reach your desired consistency.
- Add the diced potatoes and stir.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into a 9-inch (23-cm) baking dish.
- Mix 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons soy milk in a small mixing bowl.
- Brush the outside edges of the baking dish with the mix using a brush or your fingers.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place the pie crust dough over the top of the baking dish, pressing the edges to make it stick.
- Brush the top of the dough lightly with the oil-soy milk wash.
- Make a small X-shaped incision on the top of the crust.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the pie crust is golden.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.