Veggie-Packed Lentil Loaf
featured in Vegan Dinners
This veggie-packed lentil loaf is a healthy and delicious alternative to meatloaf, with plenty of veggies and plant-based protein.
May 14, 2023
91% would make again
for 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 6 tablespoons water
- olive oil, to taste
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- ½ cup diced yellow onion (75 g)
- 2 cups diced cremini mushrooms (150 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper (50 g)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire
- 2 cups cooked lentils (300 g)
- ¾ cup cooked brown rice (170 g)
- ¾ cup quick-cooking oats (75 g)
- ¼ cup ketchup (70 g)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Calories 725
- Fat 13g
- Carbs 123g
- Fiber 17g
- Sugar 10g
- Protein 32g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- To make the flax eggs, combine the flax meal and water in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the carrot and celery and cook until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onion and mushrooms. Cook for another 3-4 minutes, until the onion is semi-translucent.
- Add another drizzle of olive oil to the pan, then add the garlic, bell pepper, and tomato paste. Cook for 2 more minutes, until the tomato paste is slightly darkened.
- Add the salt, black pepper, parsley, and thyme and cook for 1 more minute, until fragrant.
- Add the soy sauce and vegan Worcestershire sauce and cook for 2 more minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a food processor, combine the lentils, brown rice, oats, flax eggs, and sautéed vegetables. Pulse 10-12 times, until the mixture is slightly chunky.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- To make the glaze, combine the ketchup and maple syrup in a small bowl. Brush half of glaze on top of the loaf, reserving the rest for later.
- Bake the loaf for 45-50 minutes, or until an fork inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Brush the loaf with the remaining glaze, then slice and serve.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.