Veggie-Packed Tomato Sauce
Get ready to level up your pasta game with this Veggie-Packed Tomato Sauce! It's a delicious and nutritious twist on a classic, brimming with a medley of colorful veggies that'll make your taste buds dance.
for 16 servings
- olive oil, to saute vegetables
- 2 cups carrot (240 g), chopped
- 4 cups onion (600 g), chopped
- 2 cups red bell pepper (200 g), chopped
- 2 cups celery (450 g), chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 ½ cups tomato paste (340 g)
- 8 cups whole peeled tomato (1 kg)
- 2 cups water (480 mL)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Calories 78
- Fat 2g
- Carbs 14g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 8g
- Protein 2g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large pot at medium-high heat, add the olive oil and carrots to the pot. Cook the carrots for about 10 minutes until they start to brown slightly.
- Next add the chopped onion, red bell pepper, celery, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper to the pot and cook until the vegetables are caramelized and tender.
- Add the tomato paste, stir it into the vegetables, and allow the tomato paste to brown deeply. It should be very aromatic before moving forward.
- Add the canned tomatoes and water, bring the sauce to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for at least 1 hour.
- Add the sauce to a blender in batches or use an immersion blender to puree the sauce to your desired consistency.
- Let the sauce cool completely and then pour the sauce into freezer-safe bags. Place the bags into a leak-proof container/tray, and freeze for up to one month.
- Reheat the frozen sauce with ½ cup (120 ml) of water in a pot until it comes to a boil and then use as desired.
- Ready for a smarter way to find recipes? Use Botatouille, our AI-powered food genius in the Tasty app. Download here