Wafer Cookie Neapolitan Layer Cake
Looking for a show-stopper dessert that will have everyone drooling? Look no further than this Wafer Cookie Neapolitan Layer Cake - with its stunning layers of pink, white, and chocolate cake, this dessert is both beautiful and delicious.
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
for 15 servings
- 2 boxes white cake mix, batter prepared according to package instructions
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ cup strawberry gelatin (20 g)
- nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 3 cups unsalted butter (375 g), softened
- 2 lb powdered sugar (910 g)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup pink sprinkle (100 g), divided
- 1 bag freeze-dried strawberry, crushed, divided
- ¾ cup white sprinkles (150 g), divided
- ¾ cup white chocolate chip (130 g), divided
- 1 cup chocolate chips (175 g), divided
- ¾ cup chocolate sprinkles (150 g), divided
- 2 bags chocolate wafer cookies
- 2 bags vanilla wafer
- 1 bag strawberry wafer cookies
- ½ cup strawberry (75 g), quartered, greens and tops removed
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (170°C).
- Make the cakes: In a large bowl, prepare the cake batter according to the package instructions.
- Pour 4¾ cups (550 G) of the cake batter into a medium bowl and whisk in the cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Pour 1¼ cups (140 G) of the cake batter into a separate medium bowl and whisk the in strawberry gelatin powder. Set aside.
- Gather a 6-inch (15 cm), 8-inch (20 cm), and 10-inch (25 cm) round aluminum cake pan. Line with parchment paper and grease with nonstick spray.
- Pour the strawberry batter into the 6-inch pan, the vanilla batter into the 8-inch (20 cm) pan, and the chocolate batter into the 10-inch (25 cm) pan. Tap the pans lightly on the counter to smooth the surface and release any air bubbles.
- Bake the cakes, rotating after about 15 minutes. The strawberry cake should take about 25 minutes, the vanilla about 35 minutes, and the chocolate about 40 minutes. For each cake, the top should spring back when lightly touched and a cake tester inserted in the center should come out clean. Let the cakes to cool in the pans on a wire rack. After 10-15 minutes of cooling, remove the cakes from the pans and let cool completely.
- Make the frosting: In a large bowl, cream the butter with an electric hand mixer for about 30 seconds, until fluffy and smooth. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup (110 G) at a time, beating on low speed to incorporate. Add the milk and beat to combine.
- Assemble the cake: Slice the strawberry cake into 2 even layers with a serrated knife. Separate the layers and spread about ⅓ cup (40 G) frosting over the bottom layer. Sprinkle half of the pink sprinkles and freeze-dried strawberries evenly over the frosting. Place the top cake layer over the candies and gently press down. Repeat with the vanilla cake, filling with half of the white chocolate chips and white sprinkles, and chocolate cake, filling with half of the chocolate chips and chocolate sprinkles.
- Frost each cake flavor with a thin coat of frosting, then transfer to the refrigerator immediately after frosting to chill and harden slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting in the center of a cake stand. Place the chocolate cake in the center of the stand, then gently placing the vanilla cake on top, then the strawberry cake of top of that. Carefully spread more frosting over the top and sides of each layer of cake (this does not need to look extremely neat, as the wafer cookies will cover everything).
- Starting with the bottom chocolate layer, carefully arrange the chocolate wafer cookies vertically around the sides, packing them close together, until the entire perimeter of the cake is covered. Repeat with the vanilla cake and wafer cookies, then with the strawberry cake and wafer cookies.
- Carefully spread remaining half of the pink sprinkles and freeze-dried strawberries over the top of the strawberry cake, covering the frosting. Add remaining half of the white chocolate chips and white sprinkles to the ledge of the vanilla cake, then remaining half of the chocolate chips and chocolate sprinkles to the edge of the chocolate cake.
- Slice and serve.
- Cook smarter, not harder. Use our AI chef Botatouille on the Tasty app. Download now.