West African Jollof Rice
This recipe was submitted by a Tasty Community Member, and hasn’t been tested by the Tasty recipe team.Submit your own recipe here!
for 7 servings
- 5 large tomatoes, quartered
- 2 habanero peppers, halved, divided
- 1 ½ cups water (360 mL), divided
- 2 onions, chopped, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, diced
- ½ cup vegetable oil (120 mL)
- 1 Tin tomato paste
- 3 shrimp bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon adobo
- 3 ½ cups jasmine rice (700 g), uncooked, rinsed
- 1 cup mixed vegetable (150 g)
- salt, to taste
- Calories 350
- Fat 16g
- Carbs 46g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 10g
- Protein 6g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- To begin preparing the base of the stew, blend tomatoes and 1 habanero with 3⁄4-1 cup (180 - 240 ml) of water. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Next, blend 1 of the 2 chopped onions, garlic, and ginger with about 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) of water. Place mixture in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Begin heating vegetable oil in a large pot. Add the 1 remaining chopped onion to the oil when hot, and cook for 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the tomato and onion purees to the pot, followed by the tomato paste, shrimp bouillon, garlic powder, curry powder, thyme, white/black pepper, and Adobo. Cut the other habanero in half and add to stew. Stir mixture thoroughly and cook together for 10 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Add rinsed jasmine rice and mixed veggies to the pot. Stew base should be just enough to cover the rice. Add enough water to cover the rice. Stir and add salt to taste.
- Cover pot opening with a piece of foil and then the lid and cook on low-medium heat for 30-35 minutes. Cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- When finished, stir rice remove from stove and allow to cool.