White Chicken Chili
This white chicken chili is perfect for a bowl of weeknight comfort. Half of the beans are mashed for extra creaminess (without cream!), but otherwise the stew is full of texture from cubed chicken, green chiles, corn, and Great Northern beans. Don’t forget the toppings!
for 4 servings
- 2 cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast (455 g), cubed
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans green chile
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock (960 mL)
- 2 cups frozen corn (300 g), thawed
- shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
- fresh cilantro leaf, for serving, roughly chopped
- sour cream, for serving
- Add 1 can of Great Northern beans to a medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher or fork until chunky.
- Add the olive oil to a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the chicken and season with 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and golden brown, 3–4 minutes. Add the garlic, green chiles, cumin, oregano, cayenne, chili powder, and black pepper and stir until the chicken is coated and the spices are aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Add the mashed beans and chicken stock and stir to combine. Bring the soup to a low boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining can of whole beans, corn, and remaining 2 teaspoons of salt. Cover and continue to simmer for 10 minutes, until warmed through.
- Ladle the chili into bowls and top with shredded cheddar cheese, cilantro, and sour cream.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.