90% would make again
Wild Rice Casserole
featured in Comforting Casserole For Your Day Off
Rustic and filling, this wild rice casserole is the perfect warm dish for cool evenings.
July 20, 2021
for 6 servings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour (30 g)
- 2 cups chicken stock (480 mL)
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded chicken (250 g), cooked
- 4 cups wild rice medley (800 g), cooked
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (10 g), roughly chopped
- Calories 809
- Fat 32g
- Carbs 101g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugar 9g
- Protein 30g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 3-quart baking dish with butter.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add the chicken and rice to the pan and stir until fully combined.
- Transfer the rice mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread in an even layer. Bake until bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- Top with the parsley before serving.