Zesty One-Pot Chicken Bake
for 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons McCormick® Zesty Spice Blend, divided
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (455 g)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups white long grain rice (400 g), such as basmati or jasmine
- 4 cups chicken stock (960 mL)
- 1 lemon, halved
- fresh basil, large handful, thinly sliced
- Calories 1456
- Fat 75g
- Carbs 152g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 15g
- Protein 38g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of the Zesty spice blend, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Coat each piece of chicken evenly with seasoning blend. Set aside.
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side, until a golden brown crust forms. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the butter, onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, until the onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Add the rice and remaining tablespoon of Zesty spice blend, bell pepper and stir to coat with the butter and aromatics. Pour in the stock and stir to deglaze the pot. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a low boil and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on top of the rice. They may sink into the stock slightly, but that is okay.
- Cover the Dutch oven and transfer to the oven. Bake for 35 minutes, until the rice is cooked through, but not mushy, and the chicken temperature reaches 165˚F (75˚C).
- Remove the chicken from the pot. Squeeze the juice from a lemon half into the rice and fluff with a fork, allowing some steam to escape and halt additional cooking.
- Transfer the rice and chicken to plates and top with fresh basil. Cut the remaining lemon half into wedges and serve on the side.