featured in Homemade Eggnog and Eggnog Cookie Dippers
This content is intended solely for users of legal drinking age. Drink responsibly.
March 01, 2022
91% would make again
Under 30 minutes
Under 30 minutes
for 8 servings
- 4 cups milk (960 mL), divided
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large eggs, only use the yolk, reserve whites for eggnog cookie dippers
- 1 cup sugar (200 g)
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream (240 mL)
- 1 cup dark rum (240 mL), or spiced rum (optional)
- nutmeg, freshly grated for garnish
- Calories 342
- Fat 17g
- Carbs 24g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 24g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
This recipe isn’t available to shop.
Unfortunately, not all our recipes can be shopped through Tasty.
- Heat 3 cups (720 ml) of milk in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until it is steaming, 5-6 minutes (do not allow it to come to a boil.)
- While the milk is warming, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl until pale yellow in color, 1-2 minutes.
- Once the milk has begun to steam, slowly pour half into the egg mixture while continuously whisking so the eggs don’t scramble. Once combined, slowly pour the egg and milk mixture back into the saucepan. 4. Keep warm over medium-low heat, stirring continuously for 15-20 minutes, until the mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl. Place a medium bowl in the ice bath and set a fine-mesh sieve on top. Pour the egg mixture through the sieve to remove any unwanted egg bits.
- Remove the sieve and add the remaining cup of milk and heavy cream, and stir to combine. Let cool for 20 minutes, stirring every 5. Add the rum, if desired, then cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. The eggnog will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Serve with freshly grated nutmeg on top.
- Meal planning made easy with the Tasty app. Download now to see exclusive curated meal plans.