93% would make again
featured in 11 Street Food Recipes You Can Make At Home
for 40 mandazis
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (375 g), plus more for dusting
- ½ cup sugar (100 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 13 ½ oz coconut milk (400 mL), 1 can
- oil, for frying
- Calories 72
- Fat 2g
- Carbs 10g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 1g
- Protein 1g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cardamom, and salt. Make a well in the center, then use a rubber spatula to mix in the egg and coconut milk until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Dive the dough into 4 portions. Roll out 1 portion of dough into a circle about ¼-inch (6 ml) thick. Cut into 8 triangles. Repeat with the remaining dough portions.
- Heat the oil in a large pot until it reaches 350˚F (180˚C).
- Working in batches, fry the mandazi for 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve as breakfast or a snack with 5. Kenyan coffee or chai.