Cheddar Biscuit Chicken Pot Pie
Dive into comfort food bliss with this cozy and indulgent pot pie that's a cheesy twist on a classic favorite. With a flaky cheddar biscuit crust and a rich and creamy chicken filling loaded with veggies, this pot pie is the epitome of comfort in every bite. Perfect for a special occasion or for a satisfying family dinner, this cheddar biscuit chicken pot pie will have everyone coming back for seconds.
for 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (30 g)
- 3 cups milk (720 mL)
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas and carrots (225 g)
- ½ cup frozen pearl onions (75 g)
- 1 cup small potato (225 g), diced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 4 cups biscuit flour (500 g), plus more for dusting
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (230 g), cubed, very cold
- 1 cup buttermilk (240 mL)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (100 g)
- ¼ cup chives (10 g), chopped
- Calories 792
- Fat 43g
- Carbs 68g
- Fiber 28g
- Sugar 7g
- Protein 31g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Make the filling: Melt the butter in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the the flour and whisk until bubbling.
- Whisk in the milk until smooth, then add the chicken, peas and carrots, pearl onions, potato, salt, and pepper . Stir until everything is well coated, then continue to cook until the filling is bubbling and the liquid has thickened slightly, 7-10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Make the biscuits: In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using your a fork, your hands, or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the dry ingredients, leaving pea-sized chunks.
- Add the buttermilk and fold with a rubber spatula until a thick dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Bring the dough together into one large mass, then roll out with a rolling pin to about 1 ½-2 inches (4-5 centimeters) thick.
- Using a 2-3-inch (5-7 centimeter) biscuit cutter or small glass dipped in flour, cut out rounds from the dough. Cut out all of the rounds, then place on top of the filling so the dough does not warm too much. Re-roll the dough scraps if needed. You should have about 10 biscuits total.
- Brush tops of the biscuits with the beaten egg and top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown and cooked through. Carefully remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Garnish with chives before serving.
- Don't let a good recipe slip away. Download the Tasty app and save your favorites for easy access.