Croquette Mozzarella Sticks
featured in Mozzarella Stick Recipes
A combination of two classic appetizers, these croquettes are filled with gooey melted mozzarella cheese and coated in breadcrumbs before being fried until crispy.
May 04, 2023
91% would make again
for 24 servings
- 2 lb russet potato (910 g), peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (55 g), plus more for garnish
- 4 large eggs, beaten, divided
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 12 sticks mozzarella cheese, halved crosswise
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125 g)
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs (115 g)
- oil, for frying
- marinara sauce, for serving
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Calories 119
- Fat 3g
- Carbs 17g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 0g
- Protein 4g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Add the potatoes to a large pot with enough cold water to cover them. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes until there are no large chunks left.
- Add the garlic, parsley, Parmesan cheese, 1 beaten egg, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Take a spoonful of potatoes and form into a patty.
- Place a cheese stick in the middle and wrap the potato around the cheese until it is evenly covered.
- Arrange the formed croquettes on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Place the flour, 3 remaining eggs, and bread crumbs in 3 separate shallow bowls. Dredge the croquettes in the flour, shaking off any excess; then dredge in the egg and the bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a large pot until it reaches 350°F (180°C). Fry the croquettes for 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer the croquettes to a wire rack set over paper towels to drain the excess oil.
- Let cool for a few minutes as they will be HOT.
- Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and parsley and serve with marinara sauce alongside.
- Don't just wing it -- plan it! Use our meal planner tool in the Tasty app. Download here.