96% would make again
Japanese Ham & Cheese Croquette (Korokke)
featured in 7 Ham & Cheese Upgrades
for 6 servings
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into medium-sized chunks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup ham (150 g), chopped into small pieces
- ¾ cup cheese (75 g), chopped into small pieces
- ½ green onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup flour (125 g)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (100 g)
- oil, for frying
- green cabbage, shredded, to serve
- tonkatsu sauce, to serve
Nutrition InfoPowered by
- Calories 586
- Fat 16g
- Carbs 80g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 4g
- Protein 27g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Heat water in a pot to a simmer, then add the potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and stir.
- Cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until a fork can easily pierce the potatoes.
- Dry the potatoes on a towel, allowing them to steam to remove excess moisture, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash the potatoes until no large chunks remain.
- Add the ham, cheese, onions, the other teaspoon of salt, pepper, and milk.
- Mix until evenly incorporated.
- Shape the potato mixture into 2-inch (3cm) discs.
- Separate the flour, eggs, and bread crumbs into separate bowls.
- Dredge the croquettes into the flour, shaking off any excess, then dip them into the eggs, and then coat them evenly in the bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a pot to 350°F (180°C).
- Fry 2-3 croquettes at a time until golden brown, then drain on a rack or paper towels with a sprinkle of salt.
- Cool, then serve with the cabbage and sauce!