94% would make again
Deep-Fried Mini Calzones (Panzarotti)
featured in Late Night Snacks pt. 2
Inspired by alyonascooking.com
for 14 servings
- 1 ⅓ cups warm water (320 mL)
- 1 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 ½ cups flour (435 g), divided
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (25 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups tomato sauce (520 g), divided
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (300 g), divided
- 1 cup fresh basil (40 g), chopped, divided
- salt, to taste
- oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, to serve
- Calories 261
- Fat 11g
- Carbs 27g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugar 2g
- Protein 11g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a liquid measuring cup, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes to bloom.
- In a bowl, add 3 cups (375 g) of the flour, Parmesan, baking powder, salt, and sugar, and stir to combine.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and stir to combine. Pour the yeast water over the flour mixture and stir until the dough forms into a ball.
- Use remaining flour for dusting the surface. Scrape the dough out of the bowl onto your floured surface. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until the dough is tight and form the dough into a ball.
- Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl. Place the dough in the bowl.
- Cover, let rise for 1 hour in a warm area, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Flour the surface. Flip bowl over surface and let the dough fall out of the bowl. Cut the dough into 2-inch (5-cm) pieces. Roll into balls.
- Begin forming the dough into a circle about ½-inch (1-cm) thick and 5 inches (12-cm) wide, making sure the middle of the circle is not too thin. Repeat with the other balls of dough.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce on to the center of the dough.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons mozzarella, then 1 tablespoon basil. Season with salt.
- Fold the dough over the fillings and seal. Pinch the edge of the dough together and fold back. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Heat 2 inches (5 cm) of oil until the temperature reaches 365˚F (185˚C).
- Fry the calzones 2 at a time for about 3 minutes on each side. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Place a bowl filled with the rest of the tomato sauce on the plate.
- Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.