93% would make again
Low-Sugar Apple Tart
featured in Inga’s Favorite Holiday Desserts
for 8 servings
- ¾ cup rolled oats (75 g)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, 3/4 stick
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour (95 g)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 ½ lb honeycrisp apple (1 kg), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (4 apples)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (260 g)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam, optional
- Calories 264
- Fat 11g
- Carbs 39g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 14g
- Protein 3g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Make the crust: In a food processor, blend the oats into a coarse powder.
- Add the butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook until nutty brown in color, 5-6 minutes. Once the butter has browned, add the ground oats, flour, salt, and water, and mix to combine. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the crust mixture to a 9-inch (20 cm) tart pan, spreading evenly across the bottom and up the sides. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- Make the filling: Place the apples in a large microwave-safe bowl and squeeze the lemon juice over, then toss to coat. Microwave for 4 minutes. Cover with a plate and let steam for 5 minutes.
- Season the apples with the cinnamon and nutmeg, and toss to coat.
- Spread the applesauce over the bottom of the crust.
- Starting from the outside and working inward, arrange the apples in the pan in a circular pattern with the curved side up. Begin with the larger slices, overlapping slightly, and continue until the entire crust is filled. Brush the apples with the melted butter.
- Bake for 1 hour, checking occasionally. If the edges are browning too quickly, cover gently with foil to prevent further browning as the tart cooks through.
- If using, microwave the apricot jam for 20-30 seconds to melt. Use a pastry brush to paint the apricot jam over the warm tart for a nice, shiny finish.
- Let the tart cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.