86% would make again
Egg & Tomato Strata
featured in Flavorful Egg Recipes Anyone Can Make
for 4 servings
- 10 large eggs
- ½ cup 2% milk (120 mL)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 slices sprouted grain bread, cut in rough 1-inch (2 cm) squares
- 1 pt cherry tomatoes (400 g), halved
- 15 oz chickpeas (425 g), 1 can, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaf (10 g), roughly chopped
- 4 oz goat cheese (125 g), crumbled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Calories 570
- Fat 30g
- Carbs 37g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugar 10g
- Protein 37g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt.
- Add the bread and toss so that all of the bread is saturated with liquid.
- Refrigerate the mixture and let it sit for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Take the egg and bread mixture out of the fridge and add the tomatoes, chickpeas, basil, and goat cheese to the mixing bowl. Toss everything together to thoroughly combine.
- When you’re ready to bake the strata, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Swirl the oil to coat the bottom and at least an inch (2 cm) up the sides.
- Pour the combined ingredients into the skillet, then use a spatula to spread everything evenly over the skillet, pressing the bread into a flat, even layer.
- Bake the strata in the preheated oven until the eggs are completely set and the edges are golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Take the strata out of the oven and let it sit in the pan for at least 15 minutes.
- Flip the cooled strata out of the pan and onto a cutting board, then slice it into four portions.
- Eat immediately, or let the strata cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Note: To reheat the strata: Microwave for 1 minute on high, or reheat in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 5 minutes, just to heat through.