87% would make again
featured in 3-Course Lebanese Meal
for 10 servings
- 1 cup sugar (200 g)
- ¾ cup water (180 mL)
- ½ lemon lemon juice
- 3 cups walnuts (300 g)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 lb phyllo dough (455 g), #4 or #7
- 1 cup butter (225 g), melted
Nutrition InfoPowered by
- Calories 595
- Fat 43g
- Carbs 46g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 18g
- Protein 8g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Make the syrup: In a small pot over medium high heat, combine the sugar, water, and lemon juice, and bring to a boil. Simmer until reduced to a syrupy consistency, 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Make the filling: In a food processor, combine the walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon. Process until very finely ground.
- Assemble the baklava: On a flat surface, lay out a sheet of phyllo dough. Brush with melted butter.
- Spoon some of the filling along the bottom edge of the phyllo sheet, leaving ½ inch (1 ¼ cm) space from the bottom, then roll up as tightly as you can. Transfer to a baking sheet and repeat with the remaining ingredients. You should be about to fit about 12 phyllo rolls per baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with butter, then use a knife to score the rolls diagonally where you will slice them after baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Immediately after removing from the oven, brush the baklava with the syrup. Finish slicing, then serve.