94% would make again
Beer & Cheese Pretzel Bites
featured in 5 Easy And Delicious Pretzel Appetizers
for 12 balls
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (300 g)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ½ cup beer (120 mL), Plus 2 additional Tbsp.
- 1 lb pizza dough (455 g)
- 5 cups water (1 ¼ L)
- ¼ cup baking soda (45 g)
- 1 egg
- coarse salt, to taste
- Calories 230
- Fat 11g
- Carbs 19g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 0g
- Protein 9g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Slice a small piece of your pizza dough, roll it into a ball then flatten it out.
- Toss the cheddar cheese with the corn starch until it’s evenly distributed.
- In a medium saucepan, bring ½ cup (120 ml) of beer to a simmer.
- Add in the cheese and corn starch mixture and whisk until it begins to thicken. Once thick, take off the heat.
- NOTE: It may cool and become more solid over time, but don’t worry! It will melt back down in the oven, so this is fine.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Place a small spoonful of the beer cheese mixture in the center of the dough.
- Pick up the top and bottom edges and bring them up and together. Do the same with the left and right edges. Continue bringing in the rest of the edges of the dough until it all meets in the center and there are no gaps for the cheese to leak out of during baking.
- NOTE: You can pick up and twist the top of the dough to make sure everything is more secure.
- Bring five cups of water to a boil in a medium pot. When you’ve finished putting together your pretzel bites, add the baking soda to the water and immediately scoop in your pretzel bites. Boil for 20-30 seconds,
- Take out and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine one egg and two tablespoons of beer and beat with a fork until they are well blended.
- Brush the mixture onto the top of each pretzel bite, then top with coarse salt.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (or until they have browned).