84% would make again
Beer Pretzels With Beer Cheese Dip
featured in Homemade Pretzels 4 Ways
This content is intended solely for users of legal drinking age. Drink responsibly.
March 02, 2022
for 4 servings
Obatzda Cheese Mix
- 2 tablespoons beer, we used an oktoberfest style lager
- 4.5 oz brie cheese (125 g)
- 3.5 oz limburger cheese (100 g), or other strong flavored soft cheese like taleggio
- ½ pack cream cheese
- ½ yellow onion
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced, optional
- 1 pack premade pizza dough
- 6 tablespoons beer, we used an oktoberfest-style lager
- ¾ cup flour (95 g)
- 5 cups water (1.2 L)
- ¼ cup baking soda (45 g)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon course sea salt
- Calories 760
- Fat 33g
- Carbs 85g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 26g
Estimated values based on one serving size.
- Cut rind off soft cheeses while they are still chilled, then cut into cubes.
- Blend cheeses with cream cheese with a fork then add the beer, spices, and diced onion and mix again. When well incorporated, stir in salt & pepper to taste. Chill.
- Take pizza dough out of package and roll into a ball. In a large bowl, add beer and flour to the dough and mix with hands until firm and not sticky. Add more flour if needed.
- Rip off a piece of dough and roll it into a 6-inch (15 cm) long log.
- To form the pretzel, pull the ends of the log to the top of the circle. Twist the ends around each other once and bring them down to meet the bottom of the circle. Then transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat until all dough is used. Chill pretzels in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425˚F (220˚C).
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium pot. Add the baking soda to the water and immediately add pretzels.
- Boil for 20-30 seconds, then take out and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush egg wash onto the top of each pretzel, then top with coarse salt.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until deep brown.
- Before serving the beer cheese, garnish with sliced red onion, if desired. Cheese mixture can be used as dip or spread.